SERVES: 1 PREP TIME: 30 minutes COOKING TIME: N/A
- 60% oats – 3 cups
- 20% dried fruit, e.g. sultanas, raisins, cranberries pawpaw, apricots – 1 cup (for a little bit of sweetness
- 10% rice bran - ½ cup
- 10% nuts, seeds &/or coconut flakes e.g. sunflower seeds, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), pecans, almonds – ½ cup
- Mix all the ingredients together and store in a large container
- Serve with your choice of milk
- Making your own varieties of muesli on a weekly basis is much more cost effective than buying a pre-made version and much more delicious!
- Find four combinations you like and rotate them throughout the month. Some nice fruit and nut combinations I suggest are:
- apricot and almond
- peach and pecan
- sunflower seeds, coconut flakes and sultanas
- pumpkin and sunflower seeds with cranberries
- If you cannot tolerate dried fruit, serve muesli with fresh fruit, either raw or stewed
- Large healthfood stores like Aunt Maggies, Fruit Peddlars sell ingredient in bulk which can be a much cheaper alternative than from mainstream supermarkets
- To enhance the digestibility of your muesli. Soak your bowl of muesli the evening before you want to eat it in water and 1 tablespoon on yoghurt. Place in the fridge. Add milk to it in the morning and eat!